Braids hairstyles have been popular for a very long period of time and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down any time soon. When you talk about versatile hairstyles, braids are the no.1 on the list. This is because they are stylish and creative. Another fun thing about braids is that it can be done with different extensions – it can be made with just the hair or extensions can be added. Example of extensions include hair attachments, yarn etc. But in this article i will be talking about braids made with yarn.
WHAT IS YARN?
Yarn is a fine cord of twisted fibers of either cotton, silk, wool or nylon, which is used in weaving and sewing. Yarn is made through a process called spinning, which involves twisting of the fibers together. Yarn made from the twisted fibers of wool are used for the hair.
Yarn braids as the name implies,are braids made with yarn. They are a type of protective hairstyle. Contrary to what some may think,yarn braids are actually stylish and beautiful. They are versatile and most tend to give a bohemian look. Most hair extensions could sometimes fell heavy but that’s not the case with yarn braids. They are very lightweight and only become heavy when wet. They can also be styled differently.
WHY YARN BRAID
- Yarn braids are protective. They protect the hair from external factors.
- They require low maintenance.
- They last long for up to 5-8 weeks.
- Yarn braids are very light weight and take less time to make.
TYPES OF YARN BRAIDS
Yarn braids comes in different styles and types:
- Yarn locs.
- Yarn twists.
- Yarn braids updo.
- Natural yarn braids.
CHECK OUT THESE DIFFERENT BRAID STYLES MADE WITH YARN
HOW TO MAKE YARN BRAIDS
1. Firstly,you have to wash your hair thoroughly and moisturize it. One good thing about yarn braids is that it retains moisture so your scalp won’t get dry.
2. Measure the length of the yarn you need and cut it out.
3. Part your hair.
4. Loop the yarn around your hair.
5. Start braiding and continue till the end of the yarn.
6. You can either knot the ends of the yarn or burn/melt it.
7. Continue with the same step until the whole head is covered.